Trump and Biden Ready to Refight 1968Breaking News
tags: Richard Nixon, Joe Biden, Donald Trump, 2020 Election, Law and Order
President Trump and Joe Biden are waging 2020 like it’s 1968, but they come at it with radically different views about this country's evolution over the past half century.
Driving the news: Jacob Blake's shooting in Kenosha, Wisconsin, has become the latest flashpoint on race, policing and violence. A string of incidents have spurred street demonstrations from DC to Portland and framed an election-year debate about racial justice versus law and order.
- Blake, a Black man, was paralyzed after police shot him point blank on Sunday with his children watching as he tried to enter his car.
- Protests and unrest followed, including a civilian shooting into a crowd Tuesday night that left people dead.
- Officials on Wednesday arrested and charged 17-year-old Kyle Rittenhouse of Antioch, Illinois, who reportedly idolized militias and law enforcement.
- All three NBA playoff games that had been scheduled for Wednesday night were postponed in protest of Blake's shooting, in a movement led by the Milwaukee Bucks.
Why it matters: Trump wants to appeal to his base's instincts and convince white, suburban voters on the fence that their safety is at risk. Biden is talking to those same suburban voters and trying to convince them that a second Trump term would impede racial progress and encourage violence.
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump’s Supreme Court Justices Show How They Might Help Him in Contested Election
- Two Visions of the Suburbs Are on the Ballot. Both Are Myths
- FBI Won’t Deliver Report on White-Supremacist Terror Threat Until After Election
- VMI Superintendent Steps Down Amid Allegations Of 'Structural Racism'
- Arizona Education Board Votes To Require Students Learn About The Holocaust, Other Genocides
- How Democrats Can Learn Hardball From the Republicans of 1861
- When a Kidnapping Ring Targeted New York’s Black Children (Review)
- To Understand The Spectacle Of Presidential Debates, Look Back To 1960, Says Harvard Historian
- If only Richard Nixon had Listened to Jackie Robinson — The GOP Might be Doing Better than Trump Today
- "Time's Monster" by Priya Satia Review – Living in the Past