Biden Will Beat Trump, Says Historian Who Predicted Every Presidential Race Since 1984Historians in the News
tags: public opinion, Joe Biden, Donald Trump, 2020 Election
The historian who has correctly predicted every presidential election since 1984 – including President Donald Trump’s win in 2016 – has announced his pick for 2020: Presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden.
Allan Lichtman, an author and history professor at American University, revealed his prediction in an op-ed video for The New York Times published Wednesday.
Lichtman’s predictive method – which puts him squarely in the minority of analysts who were right in calling Trump’s win – largely ignores the detailed cross-tab polling analyses and swing state bean counting that are often prioritized in modern political punditry.
“The pollsters and the pundits cover elections as though they were horse races,” Lichtman said in the Times’ video. “But history tells us voters are not fooled by the tricks of the campaign. Voters vote pragmatically according to how well the party holding the White House has governed the country.”
Polls are “snapshots in time,” Lichtman said. “None of this in the end has any impact whatsoever on the outcome of a presidential election.”
comments powered by Disqus
- A Virginia State Senator Found Headstones on His Property. It Brought to Light a Historic Injustice in D.C.
- UC Berkeley is Disavowing its Eugenic Research Fund after Bioethicist and Other Faculty Call it Out
- How About Reviving the Civilian Conservation Corps?
- Salvaging Another Piece of Black history
- $80 Million Dark Money Group Tied to Trump Supreme Court Advisor Leonard Leo
- In Gettysburg, Trump Supporters Clash with Black Lives Matter Protesters as Election Nears
- Thomas Frank On How Populism Can Save America
- Schuyler Mansion Works to Bring Clarity to Alexander Hamilton’s Role as Enslaver
- The American Contest: Featuring Heather Cox Richardson (Podcast)
- Cuban Slavery and The Atlantic World: 2020 Gilder Lehrman Center Conference (11/6-11/7)