The Future of the Academy at the Association of American Colleges and UniversitiesHistorians in the News
tags: higher education, academia, academy
David Staley believes the university's future has yet to be determined.
While punditry about higher education suggests otherwise, said Staley, director of the Humanities Institute and an associate professor of history at Ohio State University, the academy has the power to imagine a different future from the headline-grabbing innovations of online learning, upskilling and mega-university models.
“Ours is a particularly fertile moment to imagine something new,” he said to a packed room Friday at the annual meeting of the Association of American Colleges and Universities in Washington.
Staley and others were discussing what the “college of the future” might look like. Johann Neem, chair of the history department at Western Washington University, said a key piece of that imagining is to separate the academy from the university.
“Instead of the universities getting rid of professors, what if we got rid of the university?” Neem said.
People have an innate curiosity and desire to learn and build a community, he said, which is why they go to yoga studios and join book groups. What if the academy set up shop in a similar fashion?
comments powered by Disqus
- Poland’s forgotten civil strife and the struggle for Jewish statehood
- Socialists were winning U.S. elections long before Bernie Sanders and AOC
- The House just passed a bill to create a women’s history museum. Only one congresswoman voted against it.
- For hundreds of years, enslaved people were bought and sold in America. Today most of the sites of this trade are forgotten.
- 2 New Books Examine the the History of Black Travel
- AHA Publishes 2020 Jobs Report
- Yuval Noah Harari's History of Everyone, Ever
- Historian Manisha Sinha Discussed Trump's Acquittal on 2 Episodes of Democracy Now
- Longtime University of Iowa Jeff Cox, 72, championed candidates and his kids
- "No Boy Scout": William Rust Publishes Article on CIA Operations Officer Lucien Conein