SOURCE: The Hill
by James Grossman and Richard Immerman
It's time to update the Presidential Records Act to clarify the kinds of materials that must be preserved and create real penalties for destroying them.
SOURCE: American Historical Association
The AHA is party to a lawsuit pressing the Trump administration and the National Archives to comply with laws requiring complete preservation of presidential records.
SOURCE: The New Yorker
by Jill Lepore
Reckoning with the Trump adminstration's actions and assigning moral or criminal sanction to any misdeeds will probably be compromised by the destruction or failure to maintain presidential records.
SOURCE: FOIA Ombudsman Blog (National Archives)
The National Archives has joined other organizations in a call to ensure that records related to the pandemic and governments' responses are preserved and made accessible to future researchers.
A Truth and Reconciliation commission would be a necessary first step in documenting the Trump regime's crimes and assaults on truth, reality and America's collective memory.
SOURCE: Center for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
NARA approved ICE’s request to begin destroying the records in December 2019, despite ongoing concerns and reports of widespread mistreatment of individuals detained in ICE custody.
by John Gans
My old boss’ post-presidential center is a missed opportunity.
A high school government class wanted to help solve civil rights crimes. So they drafted a bill that is now law
It began as an effort to make government more transparent.
- The Deficit Hawks That Make Moderate Democrats Cower
- The Muddled History of Anti-Asian Violence
- Massive Investment in Social Studies and Civics Education Proposed to Address Eroding Trust in Democratic Institutions
- Lightning Strikes Twice: Another Lost Jacob Lawrence Surfaces
- Former Procter and Gamble CEO: America and the World Need History Majors
- Part of Being a Domestic Goddess in 17th-Century Europe Was Making Medicines
- How Dr. Seuss Responded to Critics Who Called Out His Racism
- Discovery Of Schoolhouse For Black Children Now Offers A History Lesson
- People Longing for Movie Theaters During the 1918 Flu Pandemic Feels Very Familiar in 2021
- How Did "Bipartisanship" Become a Goal In Itself? (Podcast)