The House just passed a bill to create a women’s history museum. Only one congresswoman voted against it.Breaking News
tags: Smithsonian, museums, womens history
The House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly Tuesday to approve the creation of a national women’s history museum as part of the Smithsonian Institution’s network of museums in Washington.
The vote comes as the country marks the 100th anniversary of women’s suffrage.
“For too long, women’s history has been left out of the telling of our nation’s history. Today, the House of Representatives took an important first step to change that,” the bill’s co-sponsors — Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney (D-N.Y.), Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick (R-Pa.), Rep. Brenda Lawrence (D-Mich.) and D.C. Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D) — said in a statement. “Women are part of every American moment, and their contributions should be recognized and celebrated.”
The vote in favor of the Smithsonian Women’s History Museum Act was largely bipartisan — 224 Democrats and 150 Republicans approved it. The 37 representatives who voted against it were all Republicans plus Rep. Justin Amash (I-Mich.) and included Rep. Clay Higgins (R-La.) and Rep. Paul A. Gosar (R-Ariz.).
Nineteen members of Congress were not present for the vote.
Rep. Liz Cheney, who represents Wyoming — the first state or territory to give women the unconditional right to vote and hold office — was the only woman to vote against the measure. She is the highest-ranking woman in House Republican leadership and the daughter of former vice president Richard B. Cheney.
comments powered by Disqus
- Odds of a Contested November Election Are on the Rise
- Penguin Classics and Others Work to Diversify Offerings From the Canon
- Coping With Coronavirus Disappointments: Five Lessons From Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- The Case Against Waging ‘War’ on the Coronavirus
- Helen Hunt Brings Trailblazing War Journalist to Life in "World On Fire"
- And The Winners of the 2020 Anisfield-Wolf Book Awards Are ...
- AHA's Committee on LGBT History Announces Hardship Grants
- What Both the Left and the Right Get Wrong About the Coronavirus Economic Crisis
- As COVID-19 Spreads, Mary Barra Needs To Denounce Trump As Bad For Capitalism
- Pandemics and the Shape of Human History