SOURCE: The Washington Times
Those who argue the song is racist point to a rarely sung and little-known line in the third verse that says, “No refuge could save the hireling and slave/From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave.”
by Mark Clague
"The Star-Spangled Banner" in no way glorifies or celebrates slavery.
SOURCE: The Baltimore Sun
by Marc Ferris
Perhaps it is time to revisit the long standing debate about replacing the song that Americans love to complain about.
- How Portland’s Wall of Moms Collapsed — and Was Reborn Under Black Leadership
- Bill Talks with Heather Cox Richardson About ‘How the South Won the Civil War’
- Southern Newspapers were Vocal Supporters of the Confederacy. It Lasted for Generations
- When Henry Wallace Warned of ‘American Fascism’
- Capitalism and Slavery: A Discussion with Caitlin Rosenthal, Tom Cutterham, and Eric Hilt