History News Service
Originally published 02/27/2013
John C. Calhoun in 1849. Daguerreotype by Mathew Brady.
Originally published 01/23/2013
Image via Shutterstock.The State Department is probably very pleased with the outcome of last week's hostage crisis in Algeria, although given the loss of innocent lives it would be impolitic for them to say so.
- While French historians take a common view of WW I, British and German don't
- Historian: Proclamation Naming Pa. State Gun Gets Facts Wrong
- Irish slave owners were compensated historian reveals
- Two historians are in a race against time to preserve early church records from destruction
- Yale's Jay Winter sums up what we should remember about WW I