SOURCE: New York Times
by Manisha Sinha
Despite well-deserved criticism from the left of some of their policies, Mr. Obama and Ms. Harris represent the cosmopolitan, interracial democracy that a majority of Americans aspire to live in today.
by Alan M. Kraut
The coronavirus will not succeed in doing to American society what fascism did to Europe in the 1930s and 1940s, but it has sparked a virulent wave of racism and intolerance, especially aimed at Chinese Americans.
SOURCE: The Conversation
The Long History of US Racism against Asian Americans, from ‘Yellow Peril’ to ‘Model Minority’ to the ‘Chinese Virus’
by Adrian De Leon
Self-isolation, social distancing and healthy practices should not be in the service of proving one’s patriotism. Instead, these precautions should be done for the sake of caring for those whom we do and do not know, inside and outside our national communities.
“Museums preserve what’s important to society. They tell our stories, give historical context to contemporary issues and help us imagine a better future."
SOURCE: Washington Post
by Renee Tajima-Peña
Harvard does not have an Asian American studies program.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
Some people think that racism toward Asians diminished because Asians “proved themselves” through their actions. But that is only a sliver of the truth.
SOURCE: Los Angeles Times
by Ellen D. Wu
Offering culture as a formula for success is risky, and the concept is a deeply flawed approach to solving social issues.
by Ellen D. Wu
How Asian Americans became the model minority -- and why whites still consider them to be a threat.
- Why Michigan’s Top Legislators Should Cancel that Meeting with Trump
- Tom Cotton Attacks "Revisionist History" of Thanksgiving on Senate Floor
- Whose History? AI Uncovers Who Gets Attention in High School Textbooks
- Native History Is Washington History, And Tribes Are Helping Schools Teach It
- When Schools Closed, Americans Turned to Their Usual Backup Plan: Mothers
- Female Pirate Lovers Whose Story was Ignored by Male Historians Immortalized with Statue
- The Devil Had Nothing to Do With It
- Hong Kong's New Rules have Created Confusion in the Classroom. Some Parents are Pulling their Children Out
- Whitewashing the Great Depression (Review)
- What Did Europe Smell Like Centuries Ago? Historians Set Out to Recreate Lost Scents