Originally published 08/12/2013
Catherine O’Donnell is an associate history professor at Arizona State University.I am an historian with a secret. I don’t think studying the past tells us what to do in the present.I should qualify that: If you are considering whether to invade Russia in winter, history provides the answer.But I object when voices from across the political spectrum claim history tells us the answer to more complex questions: what our tax policy should be, why a specific crime happened and, most disturbingly, which political views prove us to be good citizens and which reveal us to be bad ones....
- Round 2: It's Benny Morris vs. Martin Kramer ... Was there a massacre in 1948 in Lydda?
- World War I Anniversary: Five Historians, Two Questions
- While French historians take a common view of WW I, British and German don't
- Historian: Proclamation Naming Pa. State Gun Gets Facts Wrong
- Irish slave owners were compensated historian reveals