Some argued that the site should be left to decay into ruins, but officials have decided to maintain it as a testament to the city’s dark history.
by Deirdre Ryan
We have the technology in hand to preserve what is most precious to our past. Our challenge is to make this a priority.
SOURCE: New York Times
Tamara Lanier is suing Harvard University for ownership of daguerreotypes of slaves who she says are her ancestors.
"Truly, the clock is ticking. We need to meet eyewitnesses as soon as possible, before they are no longer with us."
SOURCE: Daily Beast
by Anthony Clark
The leader of the “most transparent administration in history” has been anything but transparent when it comes to plans for his presidential center.
"There has never been historic preservation off our planet. It's a really difficult subject."
SOURCE: NY Times Magazine
President Obama unveiled the plans for the Obama Presidential Center in May 2017. He said he wanted a place that “looked forward, not backward, and would provide a place to train future leaders.”
The U.S. Army has conceded a significant loss of records documenting battlefield action and other operations in Iraq and Afghanistan and has launched a global search to recover and consolidate field records from the wars.In an order to all commands and a separate letter to leaders of the House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, Secretary of the Army John McHugh said the service also is taking immediate steps to clarify responsibility for wartime recordkeeping....
- Treating immigrants like criminals has a long history in the United States
- Hundreds of black Americans were killed during 'Red Summer.' A century later, still ignored
- Memes and Memory: How Anthony Johnson, a Captive African, Became a Right-wing Talking Point
- Ed Dwight Was Set to Be the First Black Astronaut. Here’s Why That Never Happened.
- 75 Years After World War II Theft, a Painting Returns to Italy
- Kruse and Zelizer: Trump Is a Symptom of an Age That’s Been a Long Time Coming
- Reginald Butler, Former African American Studies Director at UVA, Dies
- Duke Professor Emeritus John Herd Thompson Dies at 72
- ‘The Code’ Review: How Green Was the Valley
- Academics Respond to Wall Street Journal Op Ed Calling Academia "Sweet Racket"