August 4, 2019
by Stephen Leccese
Sometimes when we’re poking around in an archive, we come across century-old documents that are strangely relevant.
SOURCE: Talking Points Memo
The new College of Charleston president is an avid Civil War reenactor and is affiliated with the Sons of Confederate Veterans.
SOURCE: The Tennessean
Judd Matheny and Frank Niceley were scheduled to appear at a meeting of the Southern National Congress.
SOURCE: Mother Jones
GOP Senate Candidate Addressed Conference Hosted by Neo-Confederate Group That Promotes Secessionism
Among the other speakers were Al Benson, former head of the Southern Independence Party and the author of a book claiming Lincoln was a Marxist.
by Carole Emberton
Some people undoubtedly choose to wave Confederate flags just to get attention. But what binds people today to yesterday's Confederates is not so much an abhorrence of centralized state power as it is a fear of change.
SOURCE: Media Matters
Jack Hunter, a congressional aide to Sen. Rand Paul with a history of "neo-Confederate" and "pro-secessionist" views, has produced dozens of articles and video commentaries for The Daily Caller and appeared as what one Fox Business host termed a "regular" guest on that network. He also helped then-Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC), currently the president of The Heritage Foundation, write his most recent book.The conservative Washington Free Beacon reported today that Hunter, a "close" Rand Paul aide who also co-wrote the Kentucky Republican's 2011 book, "spent years working as a pro-secessionist radio pundit and neo-Confederate activist ... Hunter was a chairman in the League of the South, which 'advocates the secession and subsequent independence of the Southern States from this forced union and the formation of a Southern republic.'"...
- USA Today Publishes New Articles As Part Of Series, "1619: Searching for Answers"
- Washington doesn't have a Latino history museum. These people are hoping to change that
- A history of key United Auto Workers strikes against GM
- Fact-checking Andrew Yang on history of universal basic income
- Hobby Lobby Will Return Biblical Antiquities Allegedly Stolen by Oxford Professor
- Historians Allison Horrocks and Mary Mahoney bring history to life in podcast
- Modern art historian, US museum director and clergyman EA Carmean, Jr has died, age 74
- Historian Andrew David Teaching Impeachment during an Impeachment Inquiry
- Historian Brad Simpson Says He's Never Read a Letter As Unhinged As Trump's To Erdogan
- Academic Twitter's Gender Imbalance