SOURCE: New York Times
David Michaelis's new biography is an excellent resource for those unfamiliar with the life and work of Eleanor Roosevelt and her political partnership with FDR.
SOURCE: Washington Post
A new book, “Precious and Adored: The Love Letters of Rose Cleveland and Evangeline Simpson Whipple, 1890-1918,” makes it clear that Rose Cleveland and Evangeline Simpson Whipple were more than just friends, according to its editors.
by Lisa M. Burns
She was the architect who meticulously crafted President John F. Kennedy’s lasting legacy.
It started with Eleanor Roosevelt in 1940.
SOURCE: Washington Post
The National Museum of American History is marking the 100th anniversary of one of its most popular exhibitions, “The First Ladies,” by displaying Michelle Obama’s second inaugural gown.
SOURCE: Huffington Post
Jim Downs is an associate professor of history and American Studies at Connecticut College, specializing in African-American studies and nineteenth-century American history. His book, Sick from Freedom: African-American Illness and Suffering during the Civil War and Reconstruction, was just published by Oxford University Press.On June 4, 2013, Ellen Sturtz, a gay rights activist, heckled first lady Michelle Obama at a meeting of the Democratic National Convention. Ms. Obama allegedly responded by saying that she would leave if the heckler did not stop. The audience, however, cajoled the first lady to stay and the gay rights activist was purportedly escorted out of the venue. Mrs. Obama continued her speech by talking about the future of children.
- Trump’s Supreme Court Justices Show How They Might Help Him in Contested Election
- Two Visions of the Suburbs Are on the Ballot. Both Are Myths
- FBI Won’t Deliver Report on White-Supremacist Terror Threat Until After Election
- VMI Superintendent Steps Down Amid Allegations Of 'Structural Racism'
- Arizona Education Board Votes To Require Students Learn About The Holocaust, Other Genocides
- How Democrats Can Learn Hardball From the Republicans of 1861
- When a Kidnapping Ring Targeted New York’s Black Children (Review)
- To Understand The Spectacle Of Presidential Debates, Look Back To 1960, Says Harvard Historian
- If only Richard Nixon had Listened to Jackie Robinson — The GOP Might be Doing Better than Trump Today
- "Time's Monster" by Priya Satia Review – Living in the Past