Originally published 05/21/2013
Jonathan Rees is professor of history at Colorado State University -- Pueblo.If you don’t know who “John Henry” was, The Boss will be delighted to sing you one version of the story. Or better yet, read the book by Scott Reynolds Nelson and learn a little bit about all of them. The key point here for understanding that tweet is that the steam hammer killed John Henry, leaving him no time to do other things at all. While MOOC enthusiasts like to claim that their babies will allow professors to get back to the way teaching is supposed to be, anybody who’s paying the least bit of attention to academic politics in this day and age knows that the bean counters will never let that happen. Economically, non-superprofessors will all be as dead as John Henry because killing our jobs is the primary reason that MOOCs exist in the first place....
- A Historic Vessel, Stuck in Place
- Florida school named after KKK leader to be renamed
- Major Chinese art collection of late historian set for Oxford museum
- Hobbit author JRR Tolkien's World War One revolver on display
- British Library uploads one million public domain images to the net for remix and reuse