Originally published 04/02/2014
Help defeat the Ryan Proposal today by urging your elected officials to join a bipartisan effort to support NEH.
Originally published 03/17/2014
Talking the familiar, heartless language of hunger economics.
Originally published 03/19/2013
David Woolner is Senior Fellow and Hyde Park Resident Historian at the Roosevelt Institute, and Associate Professor of History at Marist CollegeOur Nation so richly endowed with natural resources and with a capable and industrious population should be able to devise ways and means of insuring to all our able-bodied working men and women a fair day’s pay for a fair day’s work. A self-supporting and self-respecting democracy can plead no justification for the existence of child labor, no economic reason for chiseling workers’ wages or stretching workers’ hours.Enlightened business is learning that competition ought not to cause bad social consequences which inevitably react upon the profits of business itself. All but the hopelessly reactionary will agree that to conserve our primary resources of man power, government must have some control over maximum hours, minimum wages, the evil of child labor and the exploitation of unorganized labor. –FDR, May 1937
Originally published 09/17/2012
Lyndon Johnson greeting students at the East Texas Teachers College, his alma mater, in 1959. Credit: Texas A&M University.Paul Ryan is actually a candidate in two elections this year -- at the national level as Mitt Romney's running mate, at the local level as the incumbent congressman for Wisconsin's 1st congressional district.But under Wisconsin law, a candidate can only appear on the ballot once. So what gives?Like many great electoral innovations, this one can be traced back to Lyndon Baines Johnson.
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Europe notes 100th anniversary of World War I
- Why Benny Morris is both right and wrong
- Professor Ilan Pappé: Israel Has Chosen to be a 'Racist Apartheid State'
- History Professor: Convicted Cop Killer Mumia Should Be Celebrated Like Martin Luther King Jr. in Schools
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90
- Rick Perlstein: “Ronald Reagan absolved America almost in a priestly role not to have to contend with sin. The consequences are all around us today”