Originally published 05/07/2013
The University of Virginia’s Miller Center has named nine promising young scholars as 2013–14 Miller Center national fellows. Each fellow will receive a one-year $22,000 grant to support research and writing as they complete dissertations on the history of U.S. politics, foreign policy, and global politics. Each fellow will also be guided by a “dream mentor,” a leading scholar in their field, and take part in workshops to learn how to reach a broader audience with their scholarship. The 2013–14 Miller Center fellows are: Laura Blessing, Politics, University of Virginia “The New Politics of Taxation: The Republican Party and Anti-Tax Positions” Sean Beienburg, Politics, Princeton University “Constitutional Resistance in the States, 1880–2010” Rebecca Brubaker, International Politics, University of Oxford “From the Un-Mixing to the Re-Mixing of Peoples: Understanding U.S.-Led Support for Minority Returns Following the Ethnic Conflict in Bosnia” Brent Cebul, History, University of Virginia
Originally published 03/11/2013
UCLA associate professor Tobias Higbie has been named the Lloyd Lewis Fellow in American History at the Newberry Library in Chicago for 2013-14.Professor Higbie received his PhD from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign in 2000, and is the author of Indispensable Outcasts: Hobo Workers and Community in the American Midwest, 1880-1930. He co-curated the joint Newberry Library/Chicago Historical Society exhibit "Outspoken: Chicago's Free Speech Tradition" in the fall of 2004.According to the UCLA announcement, Higbie will use the fellowship to conduct research for a book project entitled "Working Knowledge: Learning and Living in a Grassroots Social Movement."The full list of 2013-2014 Newberry Library Fellows will be announced in the early summer.
- Daniel Pipes says in interview that the absence of anti-Israel protests in Muslim countries is highly significant
- A historian who studies China has discovered an overlooked angle in the debate about the Middle East. Could he have figured out a key reason for Iraq’s failure to defeat ISIS?
- American Historical Association backs revision of the AP course in history
- Middle East Scholars and Librarians Call for the Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions
- Cornel West and the Insular World of the Obama-Hating Left