SOURCE: The Atlantic
by Adam Serwer
"I want to be very clear about what the country saw last night, as an American president incited a chant of “Send her back!” aimed at a Somali-born member of Congress: America has not been here before."
SOURCE: NY Times
by Jamelle Bouie
His racist idea of citizenship is an old one, brought back from the margins of American politics.
SOURCE: New York Review of Books
by Omer Bartov, Doris Bergen, Andrea Orzoff, Timothy Snyder, and Anika Walke, et al.
The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum released a statement on June 24 condemning the use of Holocaust analogies.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said the U.S. is running concentration camps. Historians are divided on her statement.
The historical origins of the term and how some historians interpreted her statement.
by Ralph Seliger
How the Japanese-American organizers of a museum exhibit at Ellis Island entitled “America’s Concentration Camps: Remembering the Japanese American Experience” came to an amicable agreement with the American Jewish Committee (AJC).
by Daniel B. Schwartz
We can and should learn from the Holocaust to fight against racism and dehumanization, mindful of what they can lead to, but we should avoid comparisons that collapse the distance between the Holocaust and current events and result in the trivialization of the former.
SOURCE: Latino Rebels
by Eladio Bobadilla
We should call Trump’s detentions centers what they are: concentration camps.
by Michael Sheng
"For the sake of history, please tell your voters what you really believe, and don’t just throw out a label without a precise definition."
SOURCE: New York Magazine
We asked three experts a simple question: Who does Ocasio-Cortez remind you of most strongly in American political history?
- The Exhibit Lauded Freedom of Expression. It Was Silenced.
- What 1860 and 1968 can teach America about the 2020 presidential election
- Nevada Sen. Cortez Masto introduces bill to honor women’s suffrage with series of new quarters
- Hillary and Chelsea Clinton are writing their first book together about 'gutsy' women through history
- The Hotel Historian Is at Your Service
- 2 New Podcast Episodes Discuss How the Republican Party became the Party of Trump and CIA "Black Sites"
- ‘Karl Marx: Philosophy and Revolution’ Review: On the Marxist Question
- Tony Platt Reviews Simon Schama’s The Embarrassment of Riches: An Interpretation of Dutch Culture in the Golden Age
- Professor Breaks Down U.S. Racism, Trump’s ‘Ugliness’ In 3 Powerful Minutes
- ‘Charles I's Killers in America’ Review: Regicides on the Run