SOURCE: The Marshall Project
Historians including Robert Perkinson and Monica Muñoz Martinez discuss the impact of having today's cruelly punitive prisons named for racist figures of the Jim Crow era.
SOURCE: NYT Editorial
by Brent Staples
In an extraordinary full-page editorial the Times recounts Sugarland's gruesome convict leasing system and its forgotten history.
- Why Michigan’s Top Legislators Should Cancel that Meeting with Trump
- Tom Cotton Attacks "Revisionist History" of Thanksgiving on Senate Floor
- Whose History? AI Uncovers Who Gets Attention in High School Textbooks
- Native History Is Washington History, And Tribes Are Helping Schools Teach It
- When Schools Closed, Americans Turned to Their Usual Backup Plan: Mothers
- Female Pirate Lovers Whose Story was Ignored by Male Historians Immortalized with Statue
- The Devil Had Nothing to Do With It
- Hong Kong's New Rules have Created Confusion in the Classroom. Some Parents are Pulling their Children Out
- Whitewashing the Great Depression (Review)
- What Did Europe Smell Like Centuries Ago? Historians Set Out to Recreate Lost Scents