Originally published 02/23/2014
Remember Way Back When White Men Killed Black Men to "Defend" White Women? (Hint: We're Talking About 2013)
The justifications of the killers of Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis draw upon the dark, bloody history of the fear of black men and white women.
Originally published 10/08/2013
How absolutely bonkers -- yet how unsurprising -- our political analogies have come to this.
Originally published 07/15/2013
Neither of the Robinsons would ever forget their Florida ordeal.
Originally published 02/05/2013
MONTGOMERY, Ala. — In 1931, Alabama wanted to execute the black Scottsboro Boys because two white women claimed they were gang-raped. Now, state officials are trying to exonerate them in a famous case from the segregated South that some consider the beginning of the modern civil rights movement.Two Democratic and two Republican legislators unveiled proposals Monday for the legislative session starting Tuesday. A resolution labels the Scottsboro Boys as “victims of a series of gross injustice” and declares them exonerated. A companion bill gives the state parole board the power to issue posthumous pardons....
- So Cliven Bundy never said blacks might have been better off under slavery?
- Mussolini's birthplace in Italy to get a fascist museum
- Historical sex objects to feature in British classrooms
- All Russian World War I Documents Available Online
- Jihadists gone, masons are working to restore the mausoleums of Timbuktu
- Cultural historian who helped end censorship of "Lady Chatterley's Lover," dies
- Thomas Slaughter interviewed about his new book on the American Revolution
- Historian Michael Ignatieff writes a memoir explaining why he failed in politics
- Olivia Remie Constable, director of the Medieval Institute at Notre Dame since 2009, passes away
- Arizona Historical Society soon could be history