SOURCE: Washington Post
by Amrita Chakrabarti Myers
Policing in America traces its roots back to the institution of the slave patrol.
A series of interviews examines the ways that race and social class affect the ability of women to use motherhood as a source of political power.
"This is my home. I was protesting peacefully. So why did federal troops shoot me in the head?" said professor Maureen Healy.
The "Portlandia" image -- of 1990s slackers driven by liberal ingenuity -- isn't entirely true to the city's history, says former professor Randy Blazak.
SOURCE: The Hill
by Tom Mockaitis
The sight of armed men in combat fatigues without name tags driving around in unmarked vehicles to detain protestors might have been expected in Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, or the Latin American dictatorships of the 1970s. Such tactics have no place on the streets of an American city in 2020.
SOURCE: USA Today
Christopher McKnight Nichols, who teaches history at Oregon State University and splits time between the school’s base in Corvallis and Portland, said the long trail of discrimination in Oregon informed the protests in a liberal city long known for its activism.
SOURCE: CBS News
"Oregon is a racist utopia.” – Oregon historian.
SOURCE: The Atlantic
Portland’s also got a serious case of racism.
- Why Michigan’s Top Legislators Should Cancel that Meeting with Trump
- Tom Cotton Attacks "Revisionist History" of Thanksgiving on Senate Floor
- Whose History? AI Uncovers Who Gets Attention in High School Textbooks
- Native History Is Washington History, And Tribes Are Helping Schools Teach It
- When Schools Closed, Americans Turned to Their Usual Backup Plan: Mothers
- Female Pirate Lovers Whose Story was Ignored by Male Historians Immortalized with Statue
- The Devil Had Nothing to Do With It
- Hong Kong's New Rules have Created Confusion in the Classroom. Some Parents are Pulling their Children Out
- Whitewashing the Great Depression (Review)
- What Did Europe Smell Like Centuries Ago? Historians Set Out to Recreate Lost Scents