PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN 2008 WATCH:
|HNN STATS THIS WEEK:|
HNN STATS THIS WEEK:
|THIS WEEK IN HISTORY:|
|IN THE NEWS:|
IN THE NEWS:
- Lithuania drops war crimes probe of Israeli historian -
- Israeli historian Zeev Sternhell has been attacked -
BBC News, 9-25-08
- Nightmare: Historian finds out that another author was working on his topic
just as both their books appear -
Chronicle of Higher Ed, 9-22-08
- At behest of historians, Cheney has been ordered to preserve records -
Robert Townsend at the AHA blog, 9-20-08
- Turkey scared to admit Armenian genocide, says historian -
Guardian (UK), 9-22-08
- Edward Renehan: Sentenced to 18 months in prison for stealing Lincoln & GW letters -
- A Portrait of High School History Teachers: Mixed Verdict -
Robert Townsend at the AHA blog, 9-17-08
- Daniel Pipes: Receives apology -
Press Release--Middle East Forum, 9-17-08
- The Status of Women and Minorities in the History Profession, 2008 -
AHA's Perspectives on History, 9-1-08
|REVIEWED AND FIRST CHAPTERS:|
REVIEWED AND FIRST CHAPTERS:
- Annette Gordon-Reed: Ed Morgan calls her one of the best historians of her generation -
Marie Morgan and Edmund S. Morgan in the NYRB in the course of a review of Annette Gordon-Reed's new book,
The Hemingses of Monticello, 10-9-08
- Bob Woodward: The Final Days
THE WAR WITHIN
A Secret White House History 2006–2008 -
- DAVID S. REYNOLDS on Philip Dray: Sons of the South
The Epic Story of Reconstruction Through the Lives of the First Black Congressmen -
- Philip Dray: CAPITOL MEN
The Epic Story of Reconstruction Through the Lives of the First Black Congressmen, First Chapter -
- David Fromkin: A Marriage of Convenience
THE KING AND THE COWBOY
Theodore Roosevelt and Edward the Seventh, Secret Partners -
- Annette Gordon-Reed : Seeing Past the Slave to Study the Person -
- Edwin Black: Historian-journalist now taking on the energy crisis -
Marc J. Rauch in The Auto Channel, 9-21-08
- Max Page: Historian Traces Fears, Fantasies about NYC's Destruction -
U Mass, 9-17-08
OP-EDs & LETTERS:
- Andrew Roberts: Discovered extraordinary secret documents recording every Cabinet conversation of Churchill -
Telegraph, UK, 9-19-08
- Annette Gordon-Reed: 'Monticello' Tells Untold Story Of Sally Hemings -
- Conservatives recruiting historians on campus to establish academic beachheads for their ideas -
- Richard Norton Smith, a historian at George Mason University, said that for much of
American history before Roosevelt's election in 1932, presidents were not expected to respond to economic troubles.
But after banks collapsed during the devastating stock market crash in September 1929, the United States entered
the Great Depression and a worldwide economic downturn ensued. When Roosevelt was elected, he enacted the New Deal,
a series of government reforms and programs aimed at improving the economy."It redefined the relationship of most
citizens to their government, he created a safety net. Before that banks and Wall Street were unregulated,"
Smith said. On the other end of the government involvement scale, Republican President Ronald Reagan in 1980
was part of a movement to decrease the influence of the federal government in people's lives. Reagan, who was
in office until 1988, focused on cutting taxes and reducing Washington D.C.'s regulation of business."The Reagan revolution was an effort to empower state (governments) to attack the same social ills that
Washington tried to take care of," Smith said. -
PBS Newshour, 9-23-08
- David Sicilia: Too Bad Greenspan Wasn't So Blunt in Office -
University of Maryland website, 9-15-08
|HONORED / AWARDED / APPOINTED:|
HONORED, AWARDED, APPOINTED:
|EXHIBITS / WEBSITES:|
EXHIBITS / WEBSITES:
- October 18, 2008: History buffs and students alike are encouraged to attend"The Legacy of Stones River: Pathways to Freedom" in Murfreesboro, an Oct. 18 symposium focusing
on the demise of slavery during the Civil War and feature distinguished speakers. -
Murfreesboro Post, TN, 9-15-08
- The Weather Channel's original program:"When Weather Changed History":
Season 2 debuts October 5 with an episode dedicated to the Chicago Fire of 1871. Repeats of Season 1 are on
Every Sunday at 9pmET with re-airings through out the week. -
When Weather Changed History
- Ken Burns: PBS to air his national parks series next year -
- History Channel:"How the Earth Was Made,"
Monday, September 29, @ 2pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"The Universe: Life and Death of a Star,"
Monday, September 29, @ 4pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Rumrunners, Moonshiners and Bootleggers,"
Monday, September 29, @ 9pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Alaska: Dangerous Territory,"
Tuesday, September 30, @ 2pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Tougher In Alaska," Marathon
Tuesday, September 30, @ 4-7pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Ancient Discoveries: Ships,"
Tuesday, September 30, @ 9pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Kennedys: The Curse of Power,"
Wednesday, October 1, @ 2pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Weird U.S.: Weird Underworld,"
Wednesday, October 1, @ 4pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"MonsterQuest: Lake Monsters of the North,"
Wednesday, October 1, @ 8pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Jurassic Fight Club: Ice Age Monsters,"
Wednesday, October 1, @ 10pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"The Real Tomb Hunters: Snakes, Curses, and Booby Traps,"
Thursday, October 2, @ 2pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Cities Of The Underworld: 10 - Beneath Vesuvius,"
Thursday, October 2, @ 4pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Cities Of The Underworld: New York: Secret Societies,"
Thursday, October 2, @ 5pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Cities Of The Underworld: Underground Apocalypse,"
Thursday, October 2, @ 6pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Secret Access: Air Force One,"
Thursday, October 2, @ 8pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Street Gangs: A Secret History: Street Gangs: A Secret History,"
Friday, October 3, @ 2pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Gangland: 06 - Kings of New York,"
Friday, October 3, @ 5pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Jurassic Fight Club," Marathon,
Saturday, October 4, @ 2-5pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Super City: New York,"
Saturday, October 4, @ 5pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Ku Klux Klan: A Secret History: Ku Klux Klan: A Secret History,"
Saturday, October 4, @ 8pm ET/PT
|SELLING BIG (NYT):|
SELLING BIG (NYT):
- Bob Woodward: THE WAR WITHIN
#2 -- (2 weeks on list) -
- Andrew Bacevich: THE LIMITS OF POWER
#3 -- (6 weeks on list) -
- David Freddoso: THE CASE AGAINST BARACK OBAMA
#12 -- (7 weeks on list) -
- Jerome R. Corsi: THE OBAMA NATION
#14 -- (8 weeks on list) -
- Thomas Frank: THE WRECKING CREW
- Tom Chaffin: The H. L. Hunley: The Secret Hope of the Confederacy, September 30, 2008
- James M. McPherson: Tried by War: Abraham Lincoln as Commander-in-Chief, October 7, 2008
- Jeff Belanger: Who's Haunting the White House?: The President's Mansion and the Ghosts Who Live There,
October 7, 2008
- David Hackett Fischer: Champlain's Dream, October 14, 2008
- Joe Hilley: Sarah Palin: A New Kind of Leader, October 16, 2008
- Harold Holzer: Lincoln: President-Elect: Abraham Lincoln and the Winter of Secession, 1860-1861,
October 21, 2008
- Laurence Bergreen: Marco Polo: From Venice to Xanadu, October 21, 2008
- H. W. Brands: Traitor to His Class: The Privileged Life and Radical Presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt,
November 4, 2008
- Carlo D'Este: Warlord: A Life of Winston Churchill at War, 1874-1945, November 11, 2008
- Jon Meacham, American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House, November 11, 2008
- Gary May: John Tyler: The American Presidents Series: The 10th President, 1841-1845,
December 9, 2008
- George S. McGovern: Abraham Lincoln: The American Presidents Series: The 16th President, 1861-1865,
December 23, 2008
- William Woodruff: Economic historian who received a wider audience for his memoirs of an
impoverished childhood in Blackburn -
Telegraph (UK), 9-24-08
- John Taylor, 87, Specialist on Military at Archives, Is Dead -
- Georgi Kitov: Excavated Thrace, Dies at 65 -