Quick Response to Arthur Silber
- Any argument that says all differences are due to biology is silly.
- Any argument that says that the mere existence of any biologically-based differences is grounds for simply accepting such differences as unremediable is silly.
- The evidence on the degree to which biological differences explain different social outcomes is very complex and should be interpreted judiciously.
But the bottom line is that he didn't say either of the silly things in 1 or 2.
Question: is the following argument the intellectual equivalent of creationism or intelligent design?
"There is some scientific evidence that differences in the mathematical and scientific abilities of men and women, specifically the underrepresentation of women in these areas, may be due to differences in the brain biology of men and women. We can't be sure that these differences aren't the result of culture (i.e., culture might actually cause changes in brains), but there is some evidence that these differences appear very early in life. If such differences exist, they do not justify any discrimination against individual women. In fact, such differences should lead us to look for additional ways to encourage those women who do show real potential in math and science to pursue those fields, thus treating them as individuals of ability rather than members of a group who might, on average, not do as well in these areas."
Let me note my own agnosticism on this issue, due to my own lack of reading in these areas. However, the argument I lay out above seems to me to be in the bounds of legitimate discourse.
comments powered by Disqus
Jeanine Ring - 1/26/2005
"Were they really worried that [Maggie] Gallagher would come out for free love without the cash incentive?"
* * *
I confess, I had to read this three or four times before being able to get what Msr. Marshall meant to write.
Sometimes neglecting a comma here or there can create some... ah... alternative readings.
* * *
My intellectual observation for tonight.
Jeanine Ring )(*)(
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Europe notes 100th anniversary of World War I
- Why Benny Morris is both right and wrong
- Professor Ilan Pappé: Israel Has Chosen to be a 'Racist Apartheid State'
- History Professor: Convicted Cop Killer Mumia Should Be Celebrated Like Martin Luther King Jr. in Schools
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90
- Rick Perlstein: “Ronald Reagan absolved America almost in a priestly role not to have to contend with sin. The consequences are all around us today”