Jo Van Fleet Shrugs (Anti-Government Speech in Wild River)
Delivered beautifully by actress Jo Van Fleet, the speech blasts FDR's New Deal, governmental relief, and power-hungry politicians. Most of all, it eloquently defends property rights.
Van Fleet is so effective in the role that she largely undermines the pro-New Deal message in the rest of the film.
comments powered by Disqus
Tim Sydney - 6/26/2009
Great video clip.
Aeon J. Skoble - 6/23/2009
That is terrific! I liked her analogy with the dog. Great stuff.
Jeffrey Rogers Hummel - 6/22/2009
I remember well seeing this movie on T.V. when I was still in High School. I still mention it in any of my classes that end up discussing dams as public goods or the T.V.A.
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Europe notes 100th anniversary of World War I
- Why Benny Morris is both right and wrong
- Professor Ilan Pappé: Israel Has Chosen to be a 'Racist Apartheid State'
- History Professor: Convicted Cop Killer Mumia Should Be Celebrated Like Martin Luther King Jr. in Schools
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90
- Rick Perlstein: “Ronald Reagan absolved America almost in a priestly role not to have to contend with sin. The consequences are all around us today”