Commerce and Sex, Left and Right
"Commerce is to the left as sex is to the right."
This little thesis is developed nicely, with the following wonderful, and I think oddly apropos, punchline:
"Of course, by this model, libertarians suddenly become godless, amoral hedonists and Marxist gender-theorists become elitist, puritannical killjoys."
Indeed. I'm proud, in fact very proud, to proclaim myself a godless amoral hedonist with respect to both sex and commerce (and rock and roll for that matter)!
Seriously, I do find this an interesting way to cut the issues and it does explain the way in which I find both the Left and Right to be "puritans" of one sort or another.
comments powered by Disqus
Steven Horwitz - 11/23/2004
We're cool - we're not Marxists. ;)
Roderick T. Long - 11/20/2004
> Of course, by this model,
> libertarians suddenly become
> godless, amoral hedonists and
> Marxist gender-theorists become
> elitist, puritannical killjoys.
So what do libertarian gender-theorists become?
- Supreme Court reveals that the docket books of many justices survive -- and are being made available
- Poll: Majority Of Americans Say Obama Is Mixed Race, Not Black
- New technology helps paleontologists see Ice-Age bee in intricate detail
- History textbooks in crosshairs of Australia's curriculum wars
- Archaeologists' findings may prove Rome a century older than thought
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!
- UW Professor Stephanie Camp, 46, feminist historian, dies