18-yr-old = legal/sexual child?
And, yes, I would make the same argument if the sexes were reversed.
comments powered by Disqus
Aster Francesca - 6/9/2006
I think the entire moral premise is ridiculous. The relationship between teacher and student, when spiritually substantial, has an aspect which is inherently akin to eroticism. The fact that such relationships more than occasionally plunge into explicit sexuality in not surprising and should not for itself be scorned.
I suppose Martin Heidegger should have been incarcerated for his relationship with Hannah Arendt.
Paul Noonan - 6/7/2006
In every state in the US a prison or jail guard who has sex with an inmate is considered guilty of rape regardless of the sex of the guard or inmate or the age of either party. (I know this law is in effect in every state because within the last 2 weeks I read somewhere that Vermont had become the last state to adopt this law.) I think this is a sensible and proper measure given the power disparity between a prisoner and a guard.
I don't think it is necessary to criminalize consensual sex between a teacher and a high school student who has reached the age of consent. I agree with the other poster that such a matter can adequately be dealt with by depriving the teacher of his/her license to teach in public schools.
This matter points up a disconnect in our thinking of what milestone constitutes reaching adulthood. In a strictly legal sense it's reaching one's 18th birthday. However, culturally graduation from high school (which, of course can occur either before or after one's 18th birthday) is of equal or greater importance.
Mark Brady - 6/6/2006
Agreed completely. That said, I can understand that most parents would be concerned if a teacher is engaged in a sexual relationship with their child at school. The way to handle this, of course, is for the school to make it a disciplinary offense for a teacher to engage in such a relationship with a student. It is not necessary to criminalize this sort of conduct.
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: Nobody can change history
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians
- Historian Curt Gentry, known for Hoover biography and ‘Helter Skelter,’ dies at 83
- Harvard historian: strategy of climate science denial groups 'extremely successful'
- Curators at Victoria and Albert Museum are pushing the boundaries of collecting
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation