When Trump Hatchet-Man Roy Cohn Sued Martin Luther King for Libel
tags: civil rights,McCarthyism,Martin Luther King Jr.,Roy Cohn
Believe it or not, Roy Cohn, the slimy lawyer who unintentionally helped make “McCarthyism” American for “smear,” once sued Martin Luther King Jr. … for libel.
King died with the suit unresolved. Just three weeks after his assassination, Gilligan v. King furthered the liberalization of our libel standards Donald Trump is now attacking.
Of course, according to mainstream media-mirroring America, a bout pitting America’s smearmeister general, “Citizen Cohn,” against America’s civil rights martyr Dr. King, is as morally lopsided as Donald Trump running against, say, Oprah Winfrey, for president. Yet fair judges took Cohn’s complaint seriously...
comments powered by Disqus
- Emergency powers helped Hitler’s rise. Germany has avoided them ever since.
- Barack Obama Shares His Recommended Reading For Black History Month
- New Book Highlights Black farmers’ role in the struggle for civil rights
- The lengthy history of white politicians wearing blackface — and getting a pass
- The plot to assassinate George Washington — and how it was foiled
- History has a massive gender bias. We’ll settle for fixing Wikipedia.
- Historians fight back as TV raids their research treasures for its shows
- "The North Star" Launches with Keisha N. Blain as Editor-in-Chief
- New Interactive Tool Maps the American War on Terror
- Cynthia E. Orozco presents at Latino history Texas symposium