When Trump Hatchet-Man Roy Cohn Sued Martin Luther King for Libel
tags: civil rights,McCarthyism,Martin Luther King Jr.,Roy Cohn
Believe it or not, Roy Cohn, the slimy lawyer who unintentionally helped make “McCarthyism” American for “smear,” once sued Martin Luther King Jr. … for libel.
King died with the suit unresolved. Just three weeks after his assassination, Gilligan v. King furthered the liberalization of our libel standards Donald Trump is now attacking.
Of course, according to mainstream media-mirroring America, a bout pitting America’s smearmeister general, “Citizen Cohn,” against America’s civil rights martyr Dr. King, is as morally lopsided as Donald Trump running against, say, Oprah Winfrey, for president. Yet fair judges took Cohn’s complaint seriously...
comments powered by Disqus
- Abraham Lincoln, Joe Biden and the politics of touch
- Why Good Friday was dangerous for Jews in the Middle Ages and how that changed
- The first African American major league baseball player isn’t who you think
- The story behind the towering Notre Dame spire and the 30-year-old architect commissioned to rebuild it
- A history of great cathedrals that have been lost to fire and war
- Livestream event: The Greater Reconstruction: American Democracy after the Civil War
- The Fate of the "AHA Interview"
- Gale Kenny on the Womens March, Church Ladies, and Grassroots Political Religion
- Russel Muirhead and Nancy L. Rosenblum's New Book Shows Even Conspiracy Theories Have Gotten Dumber
- ‘Don’t they know Columbus never landed in America?’: Third-graders found error in their workbook. Here’s what they did about it.