"Come Home America" (George McGovern RIP)
Viewed in hindsight, George McGovern was the last major party nominee I could have voted for. No Democratic or Republican candidate did more to challenge the post-war "bi-partisan" foreign policy of world policing. Less well known was McGovern's unorthodox views (at least for a Democrat circa 1972) on economic policy. He endorsed an end to Richard Nixon's wage and price controls calling for a "free market" in prices instead. His advocacy of social liberalism and civil liberties led Republicans to demonize him as the candidate of "acid, amnesty, and abortion."
comments powered by Disqus
- Veterans fast vanishing from halls of Congress
- Found yew! The 'oldest tree in Europe' discovered in a Welsh cemetery
- Washington and Lee president apologizes for university's connection to slavery but defends Gen. Robert E. Lee
- ISIS Is About to Destroy Biblical History in Iraq
- Amateur sleuths discover Seminole Indian War fort in Florida Everglades
- Notre Dame professor says 1960s led to dressing down of Americans
- Veteran Journalists Discuss the Passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Historians Against the War draws attention to case of professor investigated for meeting with controversial Palestinian leaders
- American professor denied entry, blacklisted for supporting jailed Uighur professor
- Michael Kazin vs. John Milton Cooper: How Wrong Was Wilson about the Necessity of War?