Should Whites-Only Lunch Counters Be Allowed?
The standard libertarian answer is, "Yes, although I don't approve of the racist policy."
I say, "No. He shouldn't be allowed."
He shouldn't be allowed, but it's not the literal force of government or private parties that should disallow it. It's the metaphorical force of social pressure -- led by libertarians, of course -- that should disallow it.
There, that's cleared up. Next controversy.
comments powered by Disqus
Allan Walstad - 6/1/2010
I agree that such pressures can be a negative incentive to private discrimination. "Disallow" is rather too strong. At some level, if there is a market for single-race (or single sex or...) lunch counters, someone is likely to step forward to serve that market. And frankly, it wouldn't be on my personal priority list to make trouble for them. They are entitled to their preferences.
Jule R. Herbert - 5/30/2010
Well, Sheldon, if you think it is a big deal, it is time to get started. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of white-only (and black-only) eating and drinking establishments all over the country, including, I'll bet, Arkansas. Seems like the owners and customers prefer it that way.
Sheldon Richman - 5/30/2010
Boycotts, picketing, sit-ins, publicity.
Allan Walstad - 5/30/2010
"It's the metaphorical force of social pressure -- led by libertarians, of course -- that should disallow it."
How would it do so?
- ‘Google must not be left to censor history’ – Wikipedia founder
- The most important battle you've probably never heard of
- ISIS is destroying both Shia and Sunni shrines and buildings in Mosul
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Plagiarism scandals galore … but no consequences?
- Stephen Cohen was once considered a top Russia historian. Now he publishes odd defenses of Vladimir Putin.
- Historian who calls bull&%$@ on July 4th parade causes controversy
- This is what motivated history students in high school and middle school can do!
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians