Hear John Flynn Speak
This audio of an entire America First Committee rally from June 1941 is a real treat. The sound quality is crisp and clear:
The all-star line-up includes John T. Flynn (about 4:30 into the audio), probably the most important activist in the “Old Right” during the 1940s and the 1950s.
Speaking after Flynn is John Cudahy, a former ambassador to Ireland, Belgium, and Poland and a Democrat. To enthusiastic applause, Cudahy not only condemns Roosevelt's foreign policy but calls for reestablishment of the gold standard!
My old friend and associate at the Institute for Humane Studies, John E. Moser, has written the first full-length biography of Flynn:
Right Turn: John T. Flynn And The Transformation Of American Liberalism
John Evan Moser - 1/13/2010
Thanks for sharing this, David. Believe it or not, I had never heard a recording of Flynn's voice. Justus Doenecke once told me that it was extremely raspy, but Justus's only experience with Flynn's voice would have been via Flynn's radio program in the 1950s. By then I'm assuming that a lifetime of smoking had taken its toll. His voice here is strong, clear, and forceful.
- New Hampshire professors at odds with library over discarded books
- Troubled history fuels Japan-China tension
- Independent Scotland's last gasp forgotten in Panama jungle
- LBJ was the ‘most-threatened president in American history’
- New exhibit at the World War I Museum ... Over by Christmas: August-December 1914
- Ken Burns on Colbert to promote his new documentary, "The Address"
- UC Santa Barbara History Department featuring a series on the Great Society at 50
- Historians are trying to recover censored texts from World War I poets
- Diane Ravitch blasts the NYT for failing to understand the controversy over Common Core
- Mormon history professors debate atheists in bid to foster greater understanding