But what really pissed me off was something more subtle. In describing what sort of program they might do, they wanted to include a former/recovering drug user of college age to talk about his/her experience. Okay fine. But they kept referring to this person as"the victim!" Not"the addict," which has problems of its own, nor even the"former user" or"former abuser" but the"victim." It was all I could do not to leap out of my seat and yell at these people:
"They're only victims because of YOU bastards!!"
The rhetorical power of calling a former user a"victim" is just fascinating. Then, of course, the DEA is just saving victims all over the place. It would have been rude of me to ask"if they are victims, who has victimized them? Please point to the person or people who harmed them." Of course the answer will be those evil drug peddlers... as if"victims" are helpless robots in the face of illegal drugs.
Not a good day. Not a good day at all.
comments powered by Disqus
Keith Halderman - 4/1/2005
If you want to get rid of those DEA agents just tell them that you want to put someone from a drug reform organization on the program too. They will instantly evaporate. I have been scheduled to debate various government employees on the war on people who use certain kinds of drugs three different times, All three times they were no shows.
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Archive of WW II war crimes made public
- They tried to kill Hitler. Now they’re heroes.
- ‘Clinton Inc.’ Author Dishes on Monica Lewinsky and the Blue Dress
- Senator’s Thesis Turns Out to Be Remix of Others’ Works, Uncited
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation
- John D’Emilio, renowned professor of gay studies, retires
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in