Bill of Attainder and Schiavo
My quick bit of "legal research" suggests that the definition normally includes "punishment without trial," so that it's not just about naming a specific person, but about doing so for a nefarious purpose.
Even so, the notion of the whole Congress being called in to adjudicate a family tragedy like this really does step way over any line of the legitimate powers of the state, whatever the real meaning of a Bill of Attainder is.
comments powered by Disqus
John Arthur Shaffer - 3/21/2005
Apparently the law just passed by Congress gave the Schindler's the ability to file a civil suit against Mr. Schiavo in federal court as well.
This seems to be an indirect bill of attainder. It punishes Michael Schiavo by giving federal standing in this one case only.
Chris Rasmussen - 3/21/2005
Well, since no one else has come up to the plate, I thought I'd post this.
The quote from Madison in Federalist 44 seems appropriate to the situation here, "They have seen with regret and indignation that sudden changes and legislative interferences, in cases affecting personal rights, become jobs in the hands of enterprising and influential speculators..." Especially the last part there about "enterprising and influential speculators" sort of sums up what the Republicans are trying to do tonight.
Sheldon Richman - 3/20/2005
It certainly is ad hoc and, according to my understanding, beyond anything in Article I, Section 8.
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: Nobody can change history
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians
- Historian Curt Gentry, known for Hoover biography and ‘Helter Skelter,’ dies at 83
- Harvard historian: strategy of climate science denial groups 'extremely successful'
- Curators at Victoria and Albert Museum are pushing the boundaries of collecting
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation