Study: More Than One in 10 Americans Under 40 Thinks Jews Caused the HolocaustBreaking News
tags: Holocaust, antisemitism, historical literacy
More than one in 10 American adults under 40 believes that Jews caused the Holocaust.
That’s one finding from a survey published Wednesday trying to gauge Holocaust knowledge among millennials and Generation Z, a cohort ranging in age from 18 to 39.
The survey found that most respondents had heard of the Holocaust and 37% knew that 6 million Jews died. Slightly more than half could name at least one concentration camp or ghetto.
But 11% of the respondents believed the Jews were responsible for the Holocaust, 15% said they thought the Holocaust was a myth or has been exaggerated, and 20% said people talk about it too much. Nearly half said they had seen Holocaust denial online.
The survey of 1,000 respondents across all 50 states was organized by the Claims Conference, which coordinates restitution and reparations payments for Holocaust survivors and sponsors Holocaust education programs. It was conducted in February and March.
According to the poll, there was little correlation between state Holocaust education requirements and Holocaust knowledge. None of the 10 states with the highest knowledge levels required Holocaust education in high schools, while three states in the bottom 10 — Delaware, New York and Florida — did mandate it.
comments powered by Disqus
- How Decades of Housing Discrimination Hurts Fresno in the Pandemic
- A New Film Details the FBI’s Relentless Pursuit of Martin Luther King Jr.
- Belfast's Troubles Echo in Today's Washington
- The ‘Whitewashing’ of Black Wall Street
- Trump’s 1776 Commission Critiques Liberalism in Report Derided by Historians
- As Trump’s Presidency Recedes into History, Scholars Seek to Understand His Reign — And What it Says about American Democracy
- The Words of Martin Luther King Jr. Reverberate in a Tumultuous Time
- These Textbooks In Thousands Of K-12 Schools Echo Trump’s Talking Points
- How Heather Cox Richardson Built a Sisterhood of Concerned Americans
- Will Trump’s Mishandling of Records Leave a Hole in History?