Professor Removed Then Reinstated Over Discussion on RaceHistorians in the News
tags: history, academia, Race, professor
Louisiana Tech University briefly removed an instructor of history from teaching over class discussions on race and other topics before reinstating him this month. The instructor, Michael Savage, did not immediately respond to an interview request. According to student and faculty accounts, Savage asked students in a course this quarter to reflect on what it’s like to wake up every day in the U.S. as someone of their respective racial group. The follow-up discussion included a discussion of colonization. A student’s parent allegedly complained to the administration about an intimidating learning environment, and Savage was removed as instructor for two sections of a world history course.
Drew McKevitt, an associate professor in Savage’s department, said on Twitter that Savage also faced a complaint from last quarter about introducing such topics as impeachment into class talks, and that this factored into his removal. McKevitt and other faculty members expressed concern about Savage’s academic freedom and due process internally and on social media last week as students petitioned for his reinstatement. Louisiana Tech said in a statement that it cannot discuss individual personnel matters but that it is "obligated to ensure that each student feels safe in the living and learning environment."
comments powered by Disqus
- Why Michigan’s Top Legislators Should Cancel that Meeting with Trump
- Tom Cotton Attacks "Revisionist History" of Thanksgiving on Senate Floor
- Whose History? AI Uncovers Who Gets Attention in High School Textbooks
- Native History Is Washington History, And Tribes Are Helping Schools Teach It
- When Schools Closed, Americans Turned to Their Usual Backup Plan: Mothers
- Female Pirate Lovers Whose Story was Ignored by Male Historians Immortalized with Statue
- The Devil Had Nothing to Do With It
- Hong Kong's New Rules have Created Confusion in the Classroom. Some Parents are Pulling their Children Out
- Whitewashing the Great Depression (Review)
- What Did Europe Smell Like Centuries Ago? Historians Set Out to Recreate Lost Scents