Did an Israeli student steal Auschwitz artifacts for her art exhibit?Breaking News
tags: Holocaust, Auschwitz
Her school, Beit Berl College, first condemned the apparent theft, then backtracked after she said collected the items from outside the camp grounds.
The horrors of Auschwitz, and the stories of those who survived the Holocaust, have defined Rotem Bides’ family narrative for generations. Her grandparents lived through it, one of them serving in the Red Army and another enduring Auschwitz itself, she said.
Bides, a 27-year-old Israeli artist, has visited the Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum in Poland six times, she told Ynetnews, bearing witness to what remains of the largest of the German Nazi concentration and death camps, where an estimated 1.1 million people died.
But now, the memorial for the same camp her grandfather endured is pursuing a criminal investigation against her.
comments powered by Disqus
- Suffrage: Women's Long Battle for the Vote (Virtual Event, 10/26)
- The Supreme Court Is Helping Republicans Rig Elections
- Online Lecture: Stolen: Five Free Boys Kidnapped Into Slavery and Their Astonishing Odyssey Home (11/2)
- In a Land of Cul-de-Sacs, the Street Grid Stages a Comeback
- Frontline: Whose Vote Counts?