Diane Ravitch asks if New Orleans is "The Biggest Scam in the History of Public Education?”tags: education, New Orleans
New Orleans will soon be the first urban district in the nation that is all-charter, the first district where public education has been completely extinguished.
Because so much money has been invested in the privatization of the schools in New Orleans, there is a media machine that cranks out favorable stories about it. The state board of education, the state department of education, and the Governor are determined to prove that privatization was successful.
But there is another side to the story. Read it here. Read about a district that has low rankings on state measures, a district that has depended on fluctuating state standards, a district that depends on Teach for America, where charter leaders are paid handsomely.
Raynard Sanders, a professional educator and critic of the Recovery School District, says that New Orleans is a great case study:
“It’s a system where many of the schools take in only the most desirable students and then “create an economic opportunity for the people who operate the school,” he said. And many have been hurt in the process of experimentation, Sanders said, “because the rights of students and the sanctity of public education have been trampled on and forgotten about….”
“In New Orleans, the privateers got everything they wanted and more, and still failed," Sanders said. “It is a great case study, and also one of the biggest scams done on public education – and parents and students — in the history of the country.”
comments powered by Disqus
- Daniel Pipes says in interview that the absence of anti-Israel protests in Muslim countries is highly significant
- A historian who studies China has discovered an overlooked angle in the debate about the Middle East. Could he have figured out a key reason for Iraq’s failure to defeat ISIS?
- American Historical Association backs revision of the AP course in history
- Middle East Scholars and Librarians Call for the Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions
- Cornel West and the Insular World of the Obama-Hating Left