LBJ was the ‘most-threatened president in American history’
Hey, hey LBJ, how many death threats did you get today?
Well, that’s not precisely the slogan anti-war protesters chanted in the 1960s, but author Mel Ayton says the answer to the question is quite possibly more than any president in modern American history.
“Generally speaking, the level of threats each post-war president has faced has remained stable,” Ayton told The Daily Caller in an interview about his new book, ”Hunting the President: Threats, Plots and Assassination Attempts — From FDR to Obama.”
“However, from my research, I would hazard a guess that the most -threatened president in American history has to be Lyndon Johnson, mainly because of the Vietnam War,” he continued. “He is possibly the only president who confined his public speaking events to ‘safe’ venues like military bases. The apex of demonstrations against the war during his presidency occurred in 1968 and the Secret Service persuaded Johnson that the level of hatred directed towards him would make it more likely than not fanatical anti-war militant groups or individuals would make an attempt on his life.”
Of course, unlike his predecessor John F. Kennedy, none of the plots against Johnson were successful.
Ayton also reveals in his book that before killing 77 people in 2011, including 69 at a summer camp, Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik plotted to attack President Barack Obama when he was in the country to accept the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009.
comments powered by Disqus
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Archive of WW II war crimes made public
- They tried to kill Hitler. Now they’re heroes.
- ‘Clinton Inc.’ Author Dishes on Monica Lewinsky and the Blue Dress
- Senator’s Thesis Turns Out to Be Remix of Others’ Works, Uncited
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation
- John D’Emilio, renowned professor of gay studies, retires
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in