Italian forces in WW2 were not soft and Mussolini wasn't a clown, British historian claimsHistorians in the News
He was the butt of British jokes and even his German allies portrayed Mussolini as a clown.
But now a British historian claims the Italian fascist leader was actually a mentor to Adolf Hitler - and says claims that his troops were cowards are a myth.
Dr Christian Goeschel of Manchester University, says that the real Il Duce was a guiding light behind the rise of Hitler - who idealised his Italian counterpart and did not see him as a political stooge.
Political satire: In this Beano cartoon strip, Mussolini is shown as a drunk. The comic book took many swipes at the leader and the Nazis, with Hitler and his cronies being bested by the likes of Lord Snooty and Pansy Potter
Beano: Mussolini is once again the butt of the joke as he runs from a horse - 'Musso The Wop - He's a Big-a-da-Flop', became a lampoon of him and he was shown as vain, stupid and greedy
comments powered by Disqus
- How Decades of Housing Discrimination Hurts Fresno in the Pandemic
- A New Film Details the FBI’s Relentless Pursuit of Martin Luther King Jr.
- Belfast's Troubles Echo in Today's Washington
- The ‘Whitewashing’ of Black Wall Street
- Trump’s 1776 Commission Critiques Liberalism in Report Derided by Historians
- As Trump’s Presidency Recedes into History, Scholars Seek to Understand His Reign — And What it Says about American Democracy
- The Words of Martin Luther King Jr. Reverberate in a Tumultuous Time
- These Textbooks In Thousands Of K-12 Schools Echo Trump’s Talking Points
- How Heather Cox Richardson Built a Sisterhood of Concerned Americans
- Will Trump’s Mishandling of Records Leave a Hole in History?