President Obama Sends a Handwritten Apology Note to Art Historian Ann Collins Johns
On January 30, President Obama gave a speech at a General Electric Plant in Milwaukee where he accidentally took shots at art history majors everywhere. He said,
"A lot of young people no longer see the trades and skilled manufacturing as a viable career, but I promise you, folks can make a lot more potentially with skilled manufacturing or the trades than they might with an art history degree...Nothing wrong with an art history degree, I love art history. I don’t want to get a bunch of emails from everybody. I’m just saying, you can make a really good living and have a great career without getting a four-year college education, as long as you get the skills and training that you need."
Hyperallergic reports that art historian Ann Collins Johns, a professor at University of Texas at Austin, received a handwritten note on February 12 from Obama himself, in response to a letter she posted on the White House website. She didn't save her email, which was sent via a submission form, but she tells Hyperallergic, "I’m pretty sure that my email was not so much one of outrage at his statement, but rather a 'look at what we do well' statement. I emphasized that we challenge students to think, read, and write critically."...
comments powered by Disqus
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: Nobody can change history
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians
- Historian Curt Gentry, known for Hoover biography and ‘Helter Skelter,’ dies at 83
- Harvard historian: strategy of climate science denial groups 'extremely successful'
- Curators at Victoria and Albert Museum are pushing the boundaries of collecting
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation