George Africanus: Work to uncover former slave's lifeBreaking News
tags: slavery, United Kingdom, Great Britain
George Africanus is thought to have been born in Sierra Leone in 1763, then given as a present to the Molineux family in Wolverhampton in 1766.
The family educated him and he moved to Nottingham as an adult in 1784.
Belong Nottingham, a community development charity, wants to increase awareness of him.
Rosanna Ottewell from the charity said: "At the end of the 18th Century there were 14,000 black people in Britain and we hear very little about them....
comments powered by Disqus
- Thomas Frank On How Populism Can Save America
- Schuyler Mansion Works to Bring Clarity to Alexander Hamilton’s Role as Enslaver
- The American Contest: Featuring Heather Cox Richardson (Podcast)
- Cuban Slavery and The Atlantic World: 2020 Gilder Lehrman Center Conference (11/6-11/7)
- Voter Suppression in the US, Feat. Jim Downs, Carol Anderson and Kevin Kruse (10/27)