LDS Church details practice, history of polygamytags: mormons, polygamy
SALT LAKE CITY — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released a document about plural marriage on its website Monday.
The LDS Church released a document detailing the history of plural marriage in the religion. The document did not mention Friday's ruling that a law's language prohibiting polygamous cohabitation in Utah as unconstitutional.
Since 1904, the Church has prohibited its members from practicing plural marriage.
Approximately half of Utah territory residents in 1857 experienced life in a polygamous household, according to the Church. By 1870, that number was reduced to 25 to 39 percent and it continued to decrease in the next 20 years....
comments powered by Disqus
- David Rosand, an Art History Scholar Whose Heart Was in Venice, Dies at 75
- NYT interviews Rick Perlstein about his book
- OAH issues a statement in support of the AP standards
- Daniel Pipes says in interview that the absence of anti-Israel protests in Muslim countries is highly significant
- A historian who studies China has discovered an overlooked angle in the debate about the Middle East. Could he have figured out a key reason for Iraq’s failure to defeat ISIS?