Florida school named after KKK leader to be renamedtags: Nathan Bedford Forrest, KKK
The identity of a Jacksonville high school named after an early Ku Klux Klan leader is finally changing after the school board voted unanimously Monday to call it something else.
Duval Public Schools Superintendent Nikolai Vitti wants the students of the mostly black high school to decide on a new name to replace Nathan B. Forrest. The change will happen in July 2014, according to FirstCoastNews.com.
A previous attempt to change the Florida school's name was struck down by the school board in 2007....
comments powered by Disqus
- Earth Is In The Early Days Of A New Mass-Extinction Event, Researchers Warn
- Without World War I, what would literature look like today?
- The Secret to Early Jewish Success: Literacy
- Egypt’s Nasser is blamed for current problems by the regime
- ‘Google must not be left to censor history’ – Wikipedia founder
- Yale's Jay Winter sums up what we should remember about WW I
- Plagiarism scandals galore … but no consequences?
- Stephen Cohen was once considered a top Russia historian. Now he publishes odd defenses of Vladimir Putin, says critic
- Historian who calls bull&%$@ on July 4th parade causes controversy
- This is what motivated history students in high school and middle school can do!