Florida school named after KKK leader to be renamedtags: Nathan Bedford Forrest, KKK
The identity of a Jacksonville high school named after an early Ku Klux Klan leader is finally changing after the school board voted unanimously Monday to call it something else.
Duval Public Schools Superintendent Nikolai Vitti wants the students of the mostly black high school to decide on a new name to replace Nathan B. Forrest. The change will happen in July 2014, according to FirstCoastNews.com.
A previous attempt to change the Florida school's name was struck down by the school board in 2007....
comments powered by Disqus
- Supreme Court reveals that the docket books of many justices survive -- and are being made available
- Poll: Majority Of Americans Say Obama Is Mixed Race, Not Black
- New technology helps paleontologists see Ice-Age bee in intricate detail
- History textbooks in crosshairs of Australia's curriculum wars
- Archaeologists' findings may prove Rome a century older than thought
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!
- UW Professor Stephanie Camp, 46, feminist historian, dies
- Italian forces in WW2 were not soft and Mussolini wasn't a clown, British historian claims