Florida school named after KKK leader to be renamedtags: Nathan Bedford Forrest, KKK
The identity of a Jacksonville high school named after an early Ku Klux Klan leader is finally changing after the school board voted unanimously Monday to call it something else.
Duval Public Schools Superintendent Nikolai Vitti wants the students of the mostly black high school to decide on a new name to replace Nathan B. Forrest. The change will happen in July 2014, according to FirstCoastNews.com.
A previous attempt to change the Florida school's name was struck down by the school board in 2007....
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian Fernando Prado on quest to find remains of Cervantes
- Historian shines a light on the dark heart of Australia's nationhood
- Female historian says human rights museum censored her
- Japanese historians slam sex-slave apology review
- Stephanie Coontz: "Marriages require much more maturity than they once did."