A government shutdown history lessontags: government shutdown
You keep hearing this is the first time in nearly 18 years that the U.S. government shutdown. So you might be surprised to know...
While the term “shutdown” may sound pretty daunting, they actually used to be a yearly occurrence. There have been a whopping 17 since 1976. (Via NBC)
As a former legal advisor to the House of Representatives told NPR: “It was thought that Congress would soon get around to passing the spending bill and there was no point in raising a ruckus while waiting.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in
- In new book UC Berkeley historian Waldo E. Martin, Jr. takes Black Panther Party's point of view
- Economics historian finds that real social mobility takes hundreds of years
- Historian Tim Furnish says liberals shouldn't be astonished that ISIS is stoning women to death -- "in many Muslim countries ... large majorities ... favor stoning"