A government shutdown history lessontags: government shutdown
You keep hearing this is the first time in nearly 18 years that the U.S. government shutdown. So you might be surprised to know...
While the term “shutdown” may sound pretty daunting, they actually used to be a yearly occurrence. There have been a whopping 17 since 1976. (Via NBC)
As a former legal advisor to the House of Representatives told NPR: “It was thought that Congress would soon get around to passing the spending bill and there was no point in raising a ruckus while waiting.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- David Rosand, an Art History Scholar Whose Heart Was in Venice, Dies at 75
- NYT interviews Rick Perlstein about his book
- OAH issues a statement in support of the AP standards
- Daniel Pipes says in interview that the absence of anti-Israel protests in Muslim countries is highly significant
- A historian who studies China has discovered an overlooked angle in the debate about the Middle East. Could he have figured out a key reason for Iraq’s failure to defeat ISIS?