UW-Madison Ph.D candidate has meltdown over required diversity trainingtags: historians, diversity
Andrea Johnson is the education writer for The Minot Daily News.
If Jason Morgan, a Ph.D candidate in history at the University of Wisconsin in Madison, had any dreams of becoming a tenured history professor at a state university, those dreams probably went up in smoke last week. On the bright side, he may well have a promising career at a conservative think tank or on some ultra-right Republican candidate's political campaign, though that's an awful lot of student loan money thrown down the rabbit hole to be a political hack.
Still, his conservative hissy fit, which can be found at http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/14698/, is one of the more entertaining burning of career bridges I have seen.
On Sept. 22, Morgan, irked by the diversity training seminar he and other teaching assistants were required to attend on Sept. 20, sent a letter of protest to the director of the graduate school. He thoughtfully forwarded the e-mail to several media outlets....
comments powered by Disqus
- Poll: Majority Of Americans Say Obama Is Mixed Race, Not Black
- New technology helps paleontologists see Ice-Age bee in intricate detail
- History textbooks in crosshairs of Australia's curriculum wars
- Archaeologists' findings may prove Rome a century older than thought
- 150 years of medical journals to go online
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!
- UW Professor Stephanie Camp, 46, feminist historian, dies
- Italian forces in WW2 were not soft and Mussolini wasn't a clown, British historian claims