Sir Winston Churchill to appear on new £5 banknotetags: Telegraph (UK), Winston Churchill, banknotes, British currency, British pound
The new note, which will be issued from 2016, will feature the former prime minister against a Westminster background and above the quote: “I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.”
The words form part of an inspirational wartime speech made by Sir Winston on May 13, 1940, three days after he became prime minister.
The Elizabeth Tower, more widely known as Big Ben, is shown with the hands at 3 o'clock, the time when Sir Winston delivered the speech.
The £5 note also features a background image of Sir Winston's 1953 Nobel Prize medal for literature, together with the prize citation: "for his mastery of historical and biographical description as well as for brilliant oratory in defending exalted human values."...
comments powered by Disqus
- How Americans Feel About Religious Groups
- Tea Party support linked to educational segregation, new study shows
- History of Philly Rests Under I-95
- Agreement aims to protect North Shore wrecks from looters
- Award-Winning Filmmaker Kevin McCann to Produce the First Film about the Easter Rising in Ireland
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in
- In new book UC Berkeley historian Waldo E. Martin, Jr. takes Black Panther Party's point of view
- Economics historian finds that real social mobility takes hundreds of years
- Historian Tim Furnish says liberals shouldn't be astonished that ISIS is stoning women to death -- "in many Muslim countries ... large majorities ... favor stoning"
- Historian turns baker?