Sir Winston Churchill to appear on new £5 banknotetags: Telegraph (UK), Winston Churchill, banknotes, British currency, British pound
The new note, which will be issued from 2016, will feature the former prime minister against a Westminster background and above the quote: “I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.”
The words form part of an inspirational wartime speech made by Sir Winston on May 13, 1940, three days after he became prime minister.
The Elizabeth Tower, more widely known as Big Ben, is shown with the hands at 3 o'clock, the time when Sir Winston delivered the speech.
The £5 note also features a background image of Sir Winston's 1953 Nobel Prize medal for literature, together with the prize citation: "for his mastery of historical and biographical description as well as for brilliant oratory in defending exalted human values."...
comments powered by Disqus
- Five Things You Need to Know to be a Better Digital Preservationist
- Book on Losing British Generals Wins American History Prize
- Stanford scholar explores civil rights revolution's positive impact on the South's economy
- Harvard Historian Nancy Koehn on Amazon's Tentacular Reach
- Q&A with historian and author Nick Turse