Building comes down for Fredericksburg restorationtags: historic preservation, Civil War, Chancellorsville, historic sites, Spotsylvania, Fredericksburg
Usually, people try to restore castles.
But in Spotsylvania County, the “castle”—as some call a local fixture on State Route 3—is being demolished.
The Central Virginia Battlefields Trust is razing the old “Stars and Bars” military surplus store on the Chancellorsville battlefield.
The massively built structure—with twin turrets, battlements and a façade of brick and block—stands in the way of restoring the land to its May 1863 appearance....
comments powered by Disqus
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in
- In new book UC Berkeley historian Waldo E. Martin, Jr. takes Black Panther Party's point of view
- Economics historian finds that real social mobility takes hundreds of years