Ancient asteroid strike in Australia "changed face of earth"tags: impact events, Reuters, asteroids, Australia
SYDNEY (Reuters) - A strike from a big asteroid more than 300 million years ago left a huge impact zone buried in Australia and changed the face of the earth, researchers said on Friday.
"The dust and greenhouse gases released from the crater, the seismic shock and the initial fireball would have incinerated large parts of the earth," said Andrew Glikson, a visiting fellow at the Australian National University.
The asteroid was bigger than 10 km (6 miles) in diameter, while the impact zone itself was larger than 200 km (120 miles) - the third largest impact zone in the world....
comments powered by Disqus
- Revealed: how prehistoric 'des res' gave Stone Age Brits a perfect diet
- Chernobyl’s Hot Mess, “the Elephant’s Foot,” Is Still Lethal
- The Soviets had a better record of training women in the STEM fields than America today
- Revealed: The Soviet Union’s $1 Billion ‘Psychotronic’ Arms Race with the US
- Ancient Aussie gun find predates Captain Cook